Winchester Palace was once one of the largest and most important buildings in all of medieval London. Built in the early 13th century, the palace was mostly destroyed by fire in 1814. The Palace was more than just a residence and an administrative centre, it was a place for the Bishops to relax and enjoy city life. Part of the Palace complex included a bowling alley, a real tennis court, and pleasure gardens. The Palace was richly decorated, and welcomed noble visitors on several occasions. The redevelopment revealed several foundation walls and blocked arches of the Great Hall, but the most impressive feature is a superb rose window in the west gable.
Photo by George Redgrave